video thumbnail

LAD@SD: Hudson sends an RBI single into center

SAN DIEGO -- Some might say it was déjà vu all over again.

Tony Gwynn Jr., who used to play here and is son of the legendary Padre, singled home the go-ahead run in the top of the 11th inning on Saturday as the Los Angeles Dodgers went on to beat San Diego, 4-2, in the resumption of a game suspended on Friday after four rain delays.

Juan Uribe had opened the 11th with a double down the left-field line off Padres reliever Ernesto Frieri (0-1). With one out, Frieri hit pinch-hitter Aaron Miles with a pitch. After reliever Pat Neshek struck out Rod Barajas, Gwynn followed with a soft single that fell just in front of right fielder Will Venable.

"It was a changeup and a two-strike count and I knew he hit it off the end of the bat, so I knew it was going to be tough," said Padres catcher Nick Hundley. "I was just hoping we could get to it, but it just died late. ...

"You have to give him credit -- tough shadows, tough to see and he got a big hit when he needed it. Obviously, he's a great guy, and we loved playing with him, but at no point are we happy for him. We're competing with him and trying to get him out."

That's what former Padres closer Trevor Hoffman was trying to do back in 2007 in the third-to-last game of the season when Gwynn played for the Milwaukee Brewers.

The Padres had the NL West lead over the Colorado Rockies and led the Brewers 3-2, in the ninth inning with a runner on second. Gwynn, who grew up in the Padres clubhouse while Tony Gwynn Sr. was winning batting titles and playing alongside Hoffman, lined a two-out, two-strike triple, tying the game. The Brewers won it in the 11th.

The Padres ended up losing to the Rockies in a one-game tiebreaker for the division title and playoff berth.

The hit Saturday was Gwynn's second of the game after he entered as a pinch-hitter in the 10th inning.

Miles scored later in the 11th inning on a wild pitch by Neshek.

Blake Hawksworth (1-0), who pitched two scoreless innings, got the win, while Jonathan Broxton picked up his fourth save of the season with a scoreless 11th inning.

The game started 28 minutes late on Friday because of a rain delay. Play was later stopped for 94 minutes in the top of the second inning and for an additional 67 minutes after the top of the sixth inning. It was finally suspended after a fourth delay in the top of the ninth, at 1:40 a.m. on Saturday with the score 2-2.

Padres starter Clayton Richard pitched only one inning and didn't return after the first delay.

All told, the Padres used eight pitchers, while the Dodgers utilized seven.

Trailing by a run, the Padres scored twice in the fifth inning on Friday. Orlando Hudson connected for an RBI single off Dodgers starting pitcher Ted Lilly, and two batters later, Ryan Ludwick drove in the go-ahead run with a ground ball.

The Dodgers tied the score with a run in the sixth inning off reliever Chad Qualls when Matt Kemp -- who had three hits -- lined an RBI single to left field. That was right before the third delay.

San Diego reliever Cory Luebke, who entered the game in the second inning, allowed one unearned run over four innings after replacing Richard.

Lilly pitched through the first rain delay, allowing two runs on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings. But Lilly, like Richard, was long gone by the time the game was suspended and all of the players retreated to the clubhouse one last time.

But even after the fourth stoppage, umpire crew chief Ed Rapuano said the hope was to resume the game to completion. "Sure. The No. 1 priority is to get the game in," Rapuano told a pool reporter. "The fans who bought tickets deserve every chance to get the game in. There is no curfew. But the forecasts said it was going to continue to rain off and on. The moment we made the decision and left the field, it stopped." Comments