SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Padres transferred right-hander Chris Young to the 60-day disabled list Monday.
Young, 30, made one start for San Diego this year, picking up the win after six scoreless, one-hit innings April 6 at Arizona. He was originally placed on the 15-day disabled list April 12 (retroactive to April 7) with a strained right shoulder.
"We've shut down any further throwing activity for C.Y. for a couple more weeks," said Padres manager Bud Black. "He's working with our physical therapist with stabilization exercises in the shoulders and some strengthening, letting the entire capsule and joint quiet down. It got pretty heated up there over the course of coming back after his first start.
"He's still a few weeks away with a baseball in his hand. There's some straining of certain muscles in the rotator cuff and in around the capsule, which is common for a lot of pitchers. With C.Y. it was a little more extensive so you need a little more time to let the strains and inflammation calm down."
Hamstring puts S. Hairston on disabled list
SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Padres placed outfielder Scott Hairston on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Sunday, with a strained left hamstring Monday.
Hairston, 29, has hit .247 (20-for-81) with two doubles, six home runs, 14 RBIs and 14 runs scored in 32 games for the Padres this year.
"It's healing and I'm not getting that sharp pain when I walk," said Hairston, who injured his leg Saturday coming in for a fly ball hit by the Dodgers' Blake DeWitt.
"It is something that I have to be really careful with because hamstring injuries are something that sometimes you feel you're OK and then you try and go out and test it too soon and reinjure it again," said Hairston. "I'm going to be smart about it so I can take care of it.
"There is plenty of time left in the season; you don't need to really rush to jeopardize a couple months. This is just going to be a bump in the road.
"I feel they made the right move [in calling up a player]. With a hamstring injury it usually takes a full two weeks to recover from that."
Denorfia gets call back to Majors
SAN DIEGO -- Chris Denorfia, the newest member of the San Diego Padres, acknowledged that he'll be "knocking on 30" in a couple of months, but "it's good to know that my journey's not over yet."
Indeed, the 29-year-old outfielder, who has played 100 games in the Major Leagues, is getting another chance after the Padres selected his contract from Triple-A Portland on Monday and called him up to take the roster spot of Scott Hairston, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to May 16) with a strained left hamstring.
According to Padres manager Bud Black, Denorfia will be in the starting lineup Tuesday against Giants left-hander Jonathan Sanchez and could see action against other lefties, including the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw when the Padres travel to Los Angeles later this week and Cliff Lee when they face the Mariners.
Denorfia was a non-roster invitee at Padres Major League Spring Training before being assigned to Portland to start the season. With the Beavers, he hit .306 (37-for-121) with 10 doubles, four triples, two home runs, 12 RBIs and 17 runs scored in 34 games.
Over parts of four Major League seasons with the Cincinnati Reds (2005-06) and Oakland A's (2008-09), Denorfia has hit .279 (58-for-208) with 12 doubles, three home runs, 19 RBIs and 33 runs scored.
"This callup was a little different and a little more emotional," said Denorfia, who acknowledged he had to "hold back tears.
"I was taken off the roster at the end of last year, and I knew it would be kind of a battle to be back in the Majors. I worked really hard in the offseason and this spring to try to establish myself."
Denorfia entered Monday's game as a defensive replacement in right field in the top of the eighth and got a single to center leading off the bottom of the inning.
Padres shares thoughts on Breitbard
SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Padres offered their remembrance of Bob Breitbard, the 91-year-old San Diego sports icon who died Monday.
"What a great man, very instrumental in sports here in San Diego. It's a loss," said Padres manager Bud Black. "What he's done with the Hall of Champions, what he's done to bring a lot of great athletes and San Diegans to the forefront in the sports world, should be really commended. A fabulous man, great to be around and I loved being in his office."
"The San Diego Padres are deeply saddened by the loss of San Diego Hall of Champions founder Bob Breitbard," said Padres vice chairman and chief executive officer Jeff Moorad in a statement.
"Bob was a proud San Diegan who dedicated his life to being a champion for San Diego sports. He was instrumental in bringing the Padres and the Chargers to 'America's Finest City,' and he worked tirelessly to fulfill his vision of San Diego as a big league community. Our hearts and prayers go out to Bob's family."
"With the passing of Bob Breitbard, San Diego has lost an icon and true civic leader," said Padres president and chief operating officer Tom Garfinkel. "Bob and the San Diego Hall of Champions have been loyal partners of the San Diego Padres for many years. His commitment to San Diego sports and the greater community was evident to everyone who met him, and his dedication will never be forgotten. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob's loved ones as we all remember and celebrate his life and the legacy he left behind."
"Bob was a grand guy," Padres chairman John Moores said. "He is part of a vanishing breed, who like the late Herb Klein, put community first. I will miss him."
Breitbard was noted for his longtime friendship with Ted Williams; both men went to school at San Diego's Hoover High. In Williams' final days, he went to Breitbard with memorabilia that is now part of the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park, Calif., including bats used in Williams' legendary .406 season in 1941, as well as his Red Sox uniforms.
Sandy Burgin is a contributor to MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.