Drew discusses time in Boston, winning World Series

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- With shortstop Stephen Drew just one of the many veteran players who remain on the free-agent market, Tony Clark, the executive director of the Major League Players Association, realizes that the compensation issue is one that needs to be reviewed.

Clark and several other members of the union met with the Red Sox on Saturday morning in their tour that will include all 30 teams during Spring Training.

The Red Sox made Drew a qualifying offer back in November. Had he accepted, the shortstop would have returned to the team he won the World Series with for a salary of $14.1 million.

Once Drew turned it down, it meant that any team that signs him would have to give the Red Sox a Draft pick as compensation.

While surrendering Draft picks for superstar free agents is never much of an obstacle, it can become a serious holdup for solid players like Drew.

"It's a concern. The way the free-agent market has played itself out over the last couple of years suggests that Draft pick compensation in the free-agent market in general is a concern that we're paying attention to," said Clark. "Obviously we still have guys -- very, very good players, quality players -- that can help a number of clubs who are still on the market; some with Draft pick compensation, some not. So it's something that we're paying attention to. It's something that we're concerned about. And it's something that I'm sure will be a topic of discussion here going forward."

The rules probably can't be changed until the Collective Bargaining Agreement expires in 2016.

"There are certain criteria that's going to have to be met for the CBA to be opened up. I'm not sure that's happened," said Clark. "So it may be something where between now and 2016 we can continue to have discussions. I don't think it's in anyone's best interests, what's happening right now -- clubs or the players. But if it's something that has to be addressed come 2016, then we'll address it then."

Sizemore continues to give Red Sox early optimism

Red Sox sign outfielder Sizemore to one-year deal

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Red Sox continue to say they can't make any true evaluations of Grady Sizemore until they see how his body responds to the daily pounding that can only happen during a game schedule.

That said, Sizemore has passed every test to date.

"We're looking forward to [Sizemore playing in games], but we've got to temper that because his history is well documented," said manager John Farrell. "Two days ago, he had a phenomenal day, running the bases at full speed, his defensive work was at full speed, he's handling live pitching well. Those are the only things you see right now. Everything has been very encouraging. We're going to have to temper either our enthusiasm or really how much we push him just to gradually get him back into game shape."

The Red Sox open their Spring Training schedule on Thursday by facing Northeastern and Boston College in split-squad action.

Sizemore responded well to his busy day on Thursday.

"At the end of the day, he felt physically like he had a solid work day," Farrell said. "But the next day, he walked in and he felt great. When he shows up at the ballpark, that's been his gauge. There's been no need for either additional treatment of any kind or in his mind, any concern with how he's recovering. So far, so good."

Worth noting

• Right-hander Jake Peavy continues to progress well from the ring finger issue that plagued him earlier in camp and had a solid bullpen session on Saturday. Peavy should throw batting practice for the first time by about Wednesday.

• Lefty Andrew Miller, who missed the final three months of last season with a foot injury, is poised to make a strong comeback. The main thing he's working on now is just rediscovering his mechanics.

"He's a guy trying to get the timing in his delivery. You're talking about someone with that length of limbs, there's a little bit more that's got to be timed up," said Farrell. "And with each bullpen [session], you can see some progression with that. There's no question on the foot or anything he dealt with after the injuries. We're looking forward to him being a mainstay in this bullpen."

• The Red Sox had an open house at JetBlue Park on Saturday and drew roughly 14,000 fans. World Series highlights were displayed proudly on the scoreboard as fans roamed around the field.