06/29/07 12:34 AM ET
Padres reportedly acquiring Bradley
Source reveals that club has agreed to deal in principal
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
A baseball source on Thursday said the Padres have agreed in to a deal in principal that would send a Minor League pitcher to the Oakland A's for veteran outfielder Milton Bradley.
San Diego general manager Kevin Towers wasn't immediately available for comment Thursday, though he did admit to "mild interest" in Bradley when he spoke to reporters on Monday in San Francisco, where the Padres were playing the Giants.
Bradley, 29, is hitting .292 with two home runs and seven RBIs for Oakland, though he has only appeared in one game since June 3 because of an oblique injury he suffered during the last game he played with the A's on June 20.
Bradley was designated for assignment by the A's on June 21.
Bradley appeared headed to Kansas City earlier this week, though that deal was scuttled when the Royals backed out of the deal.
"There was a health concern on our part concerning [Bradley], and at this point the trade is dead," Royals assistant general manager Dean Taylor told the Associated Press.
Bradley -- who signed a one-year, $4 million deal with the A's in the offseason, has appeared in just 26 games this season because of strained left hamstring and calf injury before he suffered an oblique injury. All told, he has been on the disabled list three times this season.
Bradley, a switch-hitter, holds a career .271 batting average in eight seasons with four teams. His best season came in 2004 with the Dodgers when he hit .267 with 19 home runs and 67 RBIs.
Bradley hit .276 with 14 home runs and 52 RBIs in 96 games for the A's last season. His injuries and the emergence of Jack Cust -- who, oddly enough, was a Padres farmhand who was traded to the A's in May -- essentially made Bradley expendable.
The Padres -- who are hitting just .244 as a team -- have been primarily using Russell Branyan (.213) and Terrmel Sledge (.224) in left field while Brian Giles has been on the disabled list. Giles was activated from the disabled list on Thursday and is expected to be in the lineup on Friday when the Padres open a three-game series in Los Angeles against the Dodgers.
Jose Cruz Jr. (.264) was getting most of the playing time in left field before Giles went on the disabled list on May 26 (retroactive to May 20) with a bone bruise in his right knee.
Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.