07/31/08 6:15 PM ET
Deadline passes with Maddux still in SD
Talks with Dodgers don't get close enough to allow for trade
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
San Diego general manager Kevin Towers said Thursday that "nothing ever got close" in terms of trading Maddux, who has 351 career victories.
But Towers made it clear that the Padres were not merely looking to deal Maddux to save more than $3 million on his 2008 contract.
"It wasn't going to be a financial deal ... but to do the best baseball deal," Towers said. "We weren't happy with the prospect we were getting back. So we chose to hold onto him."
Maddux, who has a full no-trade clause, was approached by Towers two weeks ago and again this week and was brought up to speed on the teams who were interested in him. Maddux told Towers on each occasion that he wanted to remain on the West Coast.
A baseball source said last week that Maddux wanted to play for the Dodgers, a team that made a bigger deal Thursday, landing former Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez.
Towers was asked if a deal with the Dodgers could still get done after Thursday's Deadline. He didn't rule it out, though he did say it would become "dicier" because Maddux would have to clear waivers.
"Our position a week from now is going to be what it is today -- unless they're going to step up and give us the prospect package [we want]," Towers said.
While the Padres didn't swing a deal on Thursday, they were successful in moving two veterans: first baseman Tony Clark and pitcher Randy Wolf.
The Padres traded Clark to the Diamondbacks on July 17, picking up a Minor League pitcher, 23-year-old Evan Scribner, who is pitching at Class A Lake Elsinore. Scribner has a 2.16 ERA in seven games since the trade.
Then on July 22, the Padres shipped Wolf to the Houston Astros for Minor League pitcher Chad Reineke. The Astros also agreed to take on Wolf's remaining salary, which including incentives, could top out at $3.5 million.
Reineke, 26, allowed two runs over six innings in his first start with Triple-A Portland last week, and could join the Padres at some point before the season ends.
Towers said that while the Padres had dialog with "a lot of clubs in the last 48 hours," he was not close to making any deals.
"The position we're in right now, I don't know if a blockbuster deal is out there," the general manger said, referring to the Padres being 14 games out of first place in the National League West.
Towers did say the opportunity to talk to other GMs was helpful in the sense that it gives him an idea of what other teams might ask about again in the offseason, as well as what opposing players might be available in trades.
"The month of July is always a fact-finding time," Towers said. "We have a better idea on the other 29 clubs."
Towers said the Padres will now give an extended look at players who might be a part of the 25-man roster next season, such as outfielder Chase Headley and fellow rookie, catcher Nick Hundley.
The Major League rosters expand from 25 to 40 players on Sept. 1, giving Towers and the team a chance to look at other Minor League players.
Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.