08/25/08 10:12 PM ET
Hayhurst to get another start for Padres
It appears righty will stay in rotation, Banks to go to bullpen
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
San Diego manager Bud Black confirmed on Monday that Hayhurst, who allowed three runs over four innings in a no-decision against San Francisco, will start Friday against the Colorado Rockies at PETCO Park.
San Diego general manager Kevin Towers said last week that the 27-year-old Hayhurst would go into the bullpen once pitchers Chris Young or Shawn Estes was activated off the disabled list, though that won't happen this week.
Now it appears that the pitcher heading to the bullpen might be Josh Banks, who didn't get out of the fourth inning in Sunday's 7-4 loss to the Giants. Banks, who has allowed 14 earned runs over his last three starts, has won once since May 31.
It appears that Hayhurst will replace Banks (3-6, 4.75) in the starting rotation, meaning he'll pitch either Sept. 2 or 3 against the Dodgers.
Black said that Young, on the disabled list since Aug. 11 with a strained right forearm, will throw a simulated game before Tuesday's game against Arizona at PETCO Park. Black said Young could easily slide back into the rotation if no problems arise.
Estes, on the disabled list since May 29 with a fractured right thumb, will start Tuesday for Triple-A Portland as part of a rehabilitation assignment.
Hayhurst had his contract purchased by the Padres prior to Saturday's outing and was added to the 40-man roster. He was 2-3 with a 3.75 ERA with Portland and made two starts. He threw 76 pitches Saturday and figures to throw more on Friday.
Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.