04/07/12 8:27 PM ET
Guzman opening season on an offensive tear
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
That said, outfielder Jesus Guzman probably would like to keep things on the status quo. A year after he went on a second-half tear -- doing most of his damage at pitching-friendly Petco Park -- he's off to a fast start, with doubles in each of the first two games of the season.
"He can hit," Padres manager Bud Black said of Guzman, who got his third start in as many days in left field on Saturday while Carlos Quentin is on the disabled list after having knee surgery last month.
"As the season goes on, hopefully that continues," Black added.
Guzman had a .312 batting average, 13th best among all NL players from June 16 on. He flourished with runners in scoring position (.431) but also with runners in scoring position and two outs (.444), in addition to having 23 multi-hit games.
Maybe the most impressive statistic from Guzman's 76-game run with the Padres was his .346 average at spacious Petco Park.
Quentin rehabbing, on road back to lineup
SAN DIEGO -- Outfielder Carlos Quentin has been anything but idle these first three days of the regular season, even though he's on the disabled list after having arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
Quentin has either been rehabilitating his knee with the training staff or hitting in the cage, doing so as he's been seated in a chair.
On Sunday, Quentin will take an important step, as he'll be able to stand and hit off a batting tee for the first time since his surgery.
"I'm excited about that," Quentin said. "Things are progressing. ... It's still healing. I'm still on schedule.
"Everything has gone great."
The big key thus far in Quentin's rehabilitation has been that he's had no setbacks of any shape or size.
"There's been no increased swelling with the increased activity," he said. "Without increased swelling, you can do more and more. Hopefully, we'll push forward to increased activity."
San Diego manager Bud Black indicated Friday that Quentin will need to get some at-bats and time in the outfield with one of the Padres Minor League affiliates -- possibly Triple-A Tucson or Class A Lake Elsinore -- before he's activated from the disabled list.
"I want to get back as quick as possible," Quentin said.
The original timetable for Quentin's return was four to six weeks after surgery.
The Padres traded for Quentin on Dec. 31 with the hopes that he could add some pop to a lineup that was mostly devoid of power -- and production -- in 2011. The Padres have scored three runs in the first two games of the season and have a combined 18 strikeouts in consecutive losses to the Dodgers.
Volquez to get start Tuesday vs. D-backs
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres will have their first off-day of the season on Monday before opening a three-game series against the D-backs at Petco Park.
Instead of juggling the rotation in advance of an April 14 game against the Dodgers when the team will use its fifth starter for the first time, manager Bud Black will allow his starters to remain on their regular rest.
That means that Opening Day starting pitcher Edinson Volquez will start Tuesday. He will be followed by Cory Luebke and Dustin Moseley, as the Padres face the defending National League West champions for the first time this season.
"That's a definite," Black said when asked to confirm Volquez's start.
On Opening Day, the Padres placed pitcher Tim Stauffer on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right elbow. Had he not gone on the DL, he likely would have started the game on April 14.
Instead, Black will have the option of going with one of two internal candidates, Anthony Bass or Micah Owings, or possibly dip into the Minor Leagues for a starter. Bass appears to be the logical candidate to pitch in that game, as the Padres like Owings' ability to provide multiple innings in relief.