05/11/12 8:26 PM ET
Wieland heads to DL; Darnell recalled to roster
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
The news of Wieland's impending move to the disabled list became apparent on Wednesday afternoon. Wieland, 22, is 0-4 with a 4.55 ERA in his first five Major League starts. San Diego manager Bud Black is hopeful that Wieland will be able to return in "two to three weeks."
Wieland becomes the 11th Padre to go on the disabled list since March 26.
Darnell was hitting .267 with seven home runs and 21 RBIs with Triple-A Tucson while playing left field and third base, though he was seeing more time in left field, Black said.
"He was swinging the bat well," Black said of Darnell's time in Tucson. "And this gets us back to a five-man bench."
Padres refute report of infighting in 2011
PHILADELPHIA -- San Diego third baseman Chase Headley and manager Bud Black on Friday flatly refuted an ESPN.com article Thursday that said there was a scuffle between players last season following a team meeting.
The article stated that there was a scuffle between outfielder Ryan Ludwick, Headley and reliever Mike Adams, who apparently stated his dissatisfaction with players complaining about the dimensions of the Padres home ballpark, Petco Park.
"Ninety-eight percent of what was said in that article was 100 percent false," Headley said. "There was no scuffle, no names [called]. Mike said that we needed to be focused on winning and not the ballpark. But that was it. There was no response.
"It was a big surprise to me to read that."
Black said he called a meeting early last season after the team got off to a slow start and then asked if any of the players wanted to add anything. That's when Adams spoke up.
"Mike said what he said and that was it," Black said. "For me, it was a non-story."
Headley, who counted Ludwick and Adams as good teammates who he never had issues with, said that he was disappointed that the article painted him in a negative light. Ludwick is now with the Reds and Adams is with the Rangers.
"It's disappointing to me," Headley said. "It makes me look like a jerk. That's not the person that I am."
Stauffer set for return Monday vs. Nats
PHILADELPHIA -- Tim Stauffer, who up until the final week of Spring Training was looking as if he would be the Opening Day starter, will be reinstated from the 15-day disabled list prior to his scheduled start on Monday against the Nationals.
Stauffer, who went on the disabled list on April 4 with a strained right elbow, threw 78 pitches in his rehabilitation start on Wednesday for Class A Lake Elsinore and then threw a side session before the start of Friday's game against the Phillies.
"He pitched so well for us last year and it looked throughout the winter that he was on a nice path to a good year," Padres manager Bud Black said. "It was a detour for Tim. He feels good, his pitch count is where it needs to be and physically and mentally he feels where he needs to be."
Stauffer first experienced discomfort in his elbow late in Spring Training. Edinson Volquez was named the Opening Day starter.
While Stauffer will start Monday, Black indicated that Anthony Bass will start Tuesday. He'll be followed by Clayton Richard on Wednesday when the team returns home to Petco Park to face the Dodgers.
Prospects Peterson, Ross to go on DL
PHILADELPHIA -- Shortstop prospect Jace Peterson, the 58th overall selection in the 2011 Draft, will go on the seven-day disabled list after suffering concussion-like symptoms due to colliding with a teammate in a game Thursday with Class A Fort Wayne.
Peterson was pursuing an infield popup in the first inning of a game against South Bend when he dove and ran headlong into the leg of pitcher Colin Rea. Peterson, regarded as one of the top prospects in the Padres' farm system, received medical attention on the field before leaving on back board.
Peterson was taken to nearby Parkview Regional Medical Center where he had a CT scan, which did not reveal anything other than concussion-like symptoms.
San Diego director of player development and international scouting, Randy Smith, was at the game on Thursday. Smith said Peterson -- who is hitting .315 for the TinCaps -- was doing well after the incident.
"He's a tough kid," Smith said of Peterson, who played cornerback for McNeese State.
Also Thursday, pitcher Joe Ross, who was the 25th overall selection in the 2011 Draft, was scheduled for a start but was skipped when he told TinCaps pitching coach Willie Blair that he "felt funny" during his pregame warm-ups.
"We'll shut him down for a while," Smith said. "Hopefully it's not that big of a deal."
Ross was placed on the 7-day DL Friday evening.
Bud Black said that outfielder Carlos Quentin, who is currently on a Minor League rehab assignment, will play in left field Friday for Class A Lake Elsinore. There's no timetable yet for Padres debut, after he had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on March 19. "I think he needs more time," Black said. "And when Carlos is ready, he'll be here.
The Padres went through three different lineups before the start of Friday's game against the Phillies, as shortstop Jason Bartlett was first scratched with a stomach illness. He was later joined by center fielder Cameron Maybin, who was also felled by the illness. Andy Parrino took Bartlett's spot in the lineup and Chris Denorfia started in right field with Will Venable moving to center field.