07/16/12 9:35 PM ET
Wieland, Owings still mulling surgery options
By Chelsea Janes / MLB.com
Both were expected to make decisions on their respective procedures Monday, but Padres manager Bud Black said neither had made a decision prior to Monday night's game.
"Joe is still coming to a conclusion," Black said of the 22-year-old right-hander. "Saw Joe today, no word, talked to [Padres GM] Josh [Byrnes], talked to our medical guys ... no word. Same with Micah ... nothing yet."
Wieland, who was 0-4 in five early-season starts with the Padres, landed on the disabled list on May 10 with a strained right elbow. His rehab has since been interrupted multiple times, most recently when he felt a pop after throwing a curveball in a bullpen session this month.
Owings has been plagued by a right forearm injury since late April, when he was placed on the 15-day disabled list. He has since been moved to the 60-day disabled list, and while he is not cleared to pitch because of the injury, the 29-year-old was hopeful he could make it back to the Padres as a hitter at some point this season. Though he sports a 32-33 record and 3.86 ERA in 138 big league appearances as a pitcher, he is also owns a .283 batting averages in 219 Major League at-bats with nine home runs.
Owings was set to report to Triple-A Tucson this weekend to make some rehab appearances as a hitter in left field or at first base, but he suffered a setback just prior to the trip and is now weighing season-ending surgery on the forearm.
Decisions from both are expected in the next few days, according to Black.
Padres recall Vincent, send Mikolas to Triple-A
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres have been more than willing to give young arms a chance in the big league bullpen so far this season. So if you're a relief pitcher stationed with Triple-A Tucson, it's probably a good idea to be ready for a callup at any time. Just ask Nick Vincent, who was getting in some extra off-day work when he got the unexpected news that he needed to head for San Diego.
"I was working out because we had the day off and right as I was getting done with everything they were like, 'Yeah, you're going back up,'" Vincent said. "I was like, 'Why couldn't you have told me this 30 minutes ago? I wouldn't have worked out, would have saved some energy.'"
This will be Vincent's third career stint with the Padres, all this season. He'll take the roster spot vacated by fellow reliever Miles Mikolas, who was optioned to Tucson before Monday's game.
"We feel as though the way Nick is throwing the ball now. ... He's just a little bit more consistent than some of the other guys that have come up," Padres manager Bud Black said. "We like how he's throwing the ball, we like his stuff. ... He does a lot of things well."
The Poway native and Ramona High School graduate is excited to come home with a chance to prove he's deserving of the chance.
"It's always good to be back here, this is the Major Leagues, you play to get to this level," Vincent said. "Now it's time to make pitches and get people out."
In his four career appearances with the Padres, Vincent has struck out five batters in 4 2/3 innings. Two of those appearances came against the Astros, including his first win on June 28. The Padres take on Houston for a four-game set beginning Monday night.
Mikolas was 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA in 15 appearances with the Padres over two stints this season. He was holding opponents to a .233 batting average.
"I think Miles learned a little bit the brief time he was here, and the time before," Black said. "He'll be able to go down and work on some things we talked about. ... It's great experience for all these guys that are able to come up and be a part of our bullpen."
Starting pitcher Tim Stauffer, who was penciled in as the Padres' Opening Day starter before landing on the disabled list with a strained right elbow, is expected to progress to throwing off a mound later this week, according to manager Bud Black.
Stauffer came off the DL for one start -- a five-inning, three-run showing against Washington on May 14 -- but went right back on after experiencing more soreness in that elbow. His current DL stint is retroactive to May 15.
Another injured starter, left-hander Eric Stults, will throw a rehab start Tuesday for Triple-A Tucson. Stults was placed on the disabled list June 7 (retroactive to June 4) with a strained left lat muscle suffered during an off-day workout. The 32-year-old is 1-2 with a 3.19 ERA in six games (five starts) for the Padres this year.
Jesus Guzman got the start at first base Monday night in place of Yonder Alonso. Black has said that he will use Guzman to spell Alonso at first in order to get Guzman at-bats. The 28-year-old also saw time in the outfield this year, but his playing time has been affected the most by the return of Carlos Quentin from the disabled list on May 28.
Monday night was Guzman's eighth start at first this year. He has also started 32 games in left field and one in right, while emerging as one of Black's best pinch-hit options, boasting a career .319 average (15 for 47) in that role. The right-hander is hitting .282 off lefties this year, part of the reason he is in the lineup Monday night against Astros southpaw J.A. Happ.
Chelsea Janes is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.