5/24/2013 9:59 P.M. ET
Padres recall left-hander Layne from Triple-A
By Tyler Emerick / MLB.com
PHOENIX -- Not needing a fifth starter until Tuesday in Seattle, the Padres recalled left-handed reliever Tommy Layne from Triple-A Tucson on Friday to fill the vacated roster spot left by Burch Smith, who was optioned following his start against the Cardinals on Wednesday.
Layne was 1-3 with a 4.00 ERA and 13 strikeouts in 18 innings of relief with Tucson this season, but the 28-year-old didn't give up a run in his last five outings.
"Any time you get the phone call to come up and help, it's definitely a bit surprising," Layne said. "I've been on better runs pitching and not gotten the chance to pitch in the big leagues."
Layne made 26 appearances for the Padres last season, finishing with a 3.24 ERA and 25 strikeouts. He was disappointed not to make the club out of camp this year, but given how much he struggled in Spring Training -- 11 runs in 10 innings -- Layne knew he had work to do.
"Things definitely weren't clicking like they should've been, and they've got to take the seven best [arms] for the bullpen, so I don't fault them for not picking me," he said. "It was disappointing, but motivating."
By his own admission, Layne continued to get beat up on at the start of the season in the Minors, allowing eight runs in his first 13 innings. But after some reflection, the southpaw turned things around.
"I picked up in Tucson where I left off in Spring Training," he said. "So I just got back into what I was doing last year -- I got back to attacking hitters, and if they get you, they get you. It's been successful for me the last few times out."
Knee improved, Quentin returns to lineup
PHOENIX -- Carlos Quentin was back in the Padres' lineup Friday batting cleanup against the D-backs after missing the club's last two games with a sore left knee.
The slugger made an immediate impact, doubling in the second and scoring on Yonder Alonso's RBI single.
Quentin hurt himself sliding awkwardly into home plate on Monday, scoring on a sixth-inning single vs. the Cardinals.
"He's ready to go, he's encouraged with how he feels," Padres manager Bud Black said. "He's ready."
Even though the injury isn't on the same knee that was surgically repaired in 2012, the Padres will remain cautious with Quentin given his medical history.
"With Carlos, we're going to pay special attention to his knees on a regular day-to-day basis," Black said. "There are periods of time where he feels good and others when it's cranky. That's when you take a little step back."
In 30 games entering Friday, Quentin was batting .178 with four homers and 14 RBIs.
Richard could make return early next week
PHOENIX -- Back with the Padres following a two-start rehab stint with Triple-A Tucson, Clayton Richard threw a side session on Friday at Chase Field and is poised to return to the big league mound "early next week," barring any setbacks.
"There's a really good chance, yeah." Padres manager Bud Black said. "We think his two starts in the Minor Leagues did him very well, and if he comes out fine after today, you could probably see him pitch."
After finishing their weekend set in Arizona, the Padres will begin a four-game Interleague series with the Mariners in Seattle on Monday. Edinson Volquez is slated to start the opener, but the club needs someone to take the mound Tuesday. That will likely be Richard, if he's ready.
On the disabled list since May 5 with an intestinal virus, the left-hander was 0-4 with an 8.54 ERA in six starts before the ailment took hold.
Richard went 0-1 with a 2.25 ERA, 12 strikeouts and no walks in 12 innings with Tucson while tinkering with a higher arm slot that has appeared to serve him well.
"We like what we saw," Black said. "We were hoping he'd take it and carry it over into competition, which he has. I think that's key."
• Working his way back from a right wrist injury, Cameron Maybin began a rehab assignment with Triple-A Tucson on Friday. The outfielder, on the disabled list since April 17, was hitting .091 in 33 at-bats when he got hurt.
• Even though Padres catcher Nick Hundley was mired in a 3-for-43 slump this month entering Friday's action, Black still plans to stick with the 29-year-old, confident a few swing alterations will help him turn his fortunes around.
"We're going to continue to play our players, these are our players," Black said. "Nick got off to a very good start, he's in a funk right now, there's no doubt about it, but I think at any time he could break out of it. He's made some minor adjustments with his hands and he took some extra work in the cage. We feel that will free him up to get to the ball in a cleaner path with a shorter swing."
• Outfielder Chris Denorfia entered Friday with a career batting average of .362 (42-for-116) against the D-backs, with eight homers and 15 RBIs.
"I know he likes hitting in this park," Black said. "You know what I say to that? 'Let's hope it continues.'"
Tyler Emerick is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.