6/1/2013 9:00 P.M. ET
Padres host Pitch, Hit & Run competition
By Corey Brock and Jamal Collier / MLB.com
SAN DIEGO -- The parents in the stands could barely hold back their proud smiles as they snapped photos and recorded videos while their children competed in the Pitch, Hit & Run competition at Petco Park on Saturday morning. It's the 17th year Major League Baseball has run a youth skills program, and all 30 teams will host team championships at their ballparks on weekends from June 1-June 30.
Children ranged from ages 7-14 and some were more excited to pitch, such as 13-year-old Tyler Daraban, who was experiencing the event for the first time. The pitching competition judged a child's ability to throw six pitches toward a strike zone and how many they could land for strikes.
"This is incredible," Daraban said. "I like being out here. It's a lot of fun."
David Baer (13) was more enthusiastic to get a chance to hit, as each child took three swings off a tee and was judged on how far the ball traveled.
Kaylee Hull (12) couldn't wait to run, as each child ran a timed sprint to see who was the fastest.
"It's a great event for kids to be able to participate in," event organizer Abby Lane said. "Kids are able to compete in their local community and have the opportunity to get to a Major League stadium. For some, this is their first time ever being inside of a Major League ballpark and stepping onto the field, so it creates a very special experience."
The eight winners from each age group for the Padres included: ages 7 and 8 Marissa Gaut (San Diego) and Colton Paxton (Valley Center, Calif.); ages 9 and 10 Paige Sinicki (Henderson, Nev.) and Jordan Reed (Imperial, Calif.); ages 11 and 12 Adriana Thomason (Las Vegas) and Jaiden Correa (San Diego); ages 13 and 14 Katelyn Krzywiec (Oceanside, Calif.) and Baer (Rancho Bernardo, Calif.).
If competitors' scores are among the top three in their age group, they will advance to the 2013 Major League Baseball Pitch, Hit & Run National Final during MLB All-Star Week at Citi Field in New York on July 15. And even get a chance to catch fly balls in the outfield during the 2013 Home Run Derby.
Some of the past participants in this event have ended up in playing in the Major Leagues, including Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer, who is a former national finalist.
Street to 15-day DL with left calf strain
SAN DIEGO -- Padres closer Huston Street is headed to the 15-day disabled list after suffering a strained left calf muscle running prior to Friday's game against the Blue Jays.
The move is retroactive to May 30 and Street said Saturday that he doesn't think he'll need the entire 15 days to get healthy.
"It's not a two- or three-day thing, but hopefully it's recovered by six or seven days," Street said.
The Padres added left-handed relief pitcher Tommy Layne to the roster from Triple-A Tucson. He is in uniform and available for Saturday's game.
Street sounded mostly encouraged about his injury, noting that while it's the same calf that landed him on the disabled list last season and caused him to miss 35 games, that this latest injury is not nearly as serious.
"Same calf, different spot and a different severity level," Street said. "We wanted to make sure to avoid the same mistake twice. The risk isn't worth the reward."
Last season, Street had soreness in his calf leading up to the point where he suffered a severe strain in a game in Pittsburgh in August. He missed well over a month and didn't return until Sept. 21.
"Last year, when he suffered the injury in Pittsburgh, he felt discomfort and was able to play through it … then it got him," said Padres manager Bud Black. "… We decided to play it safe and get him healthy."
Street is 0-3 with 11 saves in 12 opportunities, but has a 4.43 ERA in 20 1/3 innings. He has also allowed seven home runs.
Black said that relievers Dale Thayer and Luke Gregerson will handle the late innings, but that Gregerson could "be the guy we turn to the most" in close games.
This is Layne's second stint with the Padres. He was recalled on May 24 and appeared in one game before heading back to Tucson. He was 1-3 with a 3.79 ERA this season for the Padres' top affiliate.
Richard breathes sigh of relief in first victory
SAN DIEGO -- What Clayton Richard couldn't find in seven starts, he found with two innings in a very rare scoreless appearance in Friday's 17-inning victory over the Blue Jays: his first victory.
Richard, who hadn't made a relief appearance since May 10, 2009, while with the White Sox, tossed two scoreless innings and was the pitcher of record when Jesus Guzman knocked in the game-winning run, clinching a 4-3 victory.
Richard was actually scheduled to start on Saturday, where he would have faced former teammate and friend Mark Buehrle. Instead, he was pressed into action late Friday in a game that stretched into the wee hours of Saturday morning.
"[Manager Bud Black] called me over in the 13th and told me there was a chance," Richard said.
Richard allowed one hit in two innings and needed just 17 pitches to get six outs. Richard said the experience was different than what he's used to, especially in regards to getting ready for an appearance.
"I just had to do it a lot quicker. You try to do what you can to get loose," Richard said.
Black said that the Padres will reinsert Richard into the starting rotation on Tuesday when the Padres are in Los Angeles to face the Dodgers. In Richard's place Saturday, the Padres recalled left-hander Robbie Erlin from Triple-A Tucson. He'll likely be returned there after the game.
Alonso out of lineup, expected to return soon
SAN DIEGO -- Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso reached into his locker and pulled out a black wooden bat, wincing as he tried to grip the bat with his right hand.
"Not yet," he said, and he put the bat back down.
Alonso was not in the Padres' starting lineup for Saturday's game against the Blue Jays one day after being diagnosed with a right hand contusion when he was hit by a pitch in the seventh inning. He remained in the game to play one inning of defense, but was removed before his spot in the lineup came again.
Alonso was 1-for-2 in the game, increasing his batting average to .284 on the year.
X-rays taken after the game were negative and Alonso said he spent all day Saturday icing his hand. He doesn't expect to miss an extended period of time.
"They told me it was going to hurt a little bit this morning, but when I woke up it wasn't as bad," Alonso said. "Just trying to get the swelling out and get my grip back to where it wants to be."
Padres manager Bud Black added that Alonso would have likely not started even if he were completely healthy against Blue Jays left-hander Mark Buehrle, but Black hinted Alonso could be available to pinch-hit.
Jesus Guzman, who got the game-winning hit in the 17th inning on Friday, got the start at first base on Saturday.
Corey Brock is a reporter for MLB.com. Keep track of @FollowThePadres on Twitter. Jamal Collier is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.