9/3/2013 8:19 P.M. ET
Padres recall three; Smith to start Friday
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres added three relief pitchers to their roster Tuesday when the team recalled right-handers Brad Brach, Brad Boxberger and Anthony Bass to their roster.
San Diego manager Bud Black said he and the organization will use the final 25 games of the season to evaluate each as well as other young players on the roster.
One of those young players is 23-year-old right-hander Burch Smith, who will get the start Friday at Petco Park against the Rockies.
Smith, ranked by MLB.com as the Padres' No. 9 prospect, began the season with Double-A San Antonio and then was added to the big league roster in time for a start -- his Major League debut -- May 11 against the Rays. He allowed six earned runs in just one inning, part of a six-game stint that saw him post a 11.37 ERA.
Smith returned to the Minor Leagues where he went 5-1 with a 3.39 ERA in 12 starts with the Triple-A Tucson Padres. On Tuesday, he was actually named the Pacific Coast League's Pitcher of the Week. He tossed seven scoreless innings in a no-decision against Reno with 10 strikeouts.
Smith said Tuesday that he's a different pitcher than the one who struggled earlier in the season with the Padres.
"I'll get back out there and go at it differently this time," Smith said. "I'm going to try and execute my pitches and not just try to blow the ball by guys."
Black is excited to see Smith pitch again.
"The last number of games he's pitched in the Minor Leagues have been good," Black said.
Alonso won't rush back from hand injury
SAN DIEGO -- First baseman Yonder Alonso had an MRI on his sore right hand Tuesday that revealed fluid in and between the joints in the hand.
"That's what's causing it to hurt," Alonso said.
Alonso was scheduled to have a cortisone shot in the hand later Tuesday, but at this point he's been told the only thing he can do for the hand is rest it.
"We're working through a couple of scenarios where we'll give it rest with the hope that I will be able to come back sooner than later," he said.
The good news was that no surgery is expected on the hand, which caused him to miss 34 games earlier this season. He said that even after returning from the disabled list, the strength in his hand wasn't the same as it was earlier in the season.
The initial diagnosis was that Alonso would miss between seven and 10 days, but it now appears that he will miss more time than that.
"He could be back in a couple of weeks," said Padres manager Bud Black. "He wants to get back and play again, which is great."
Alonso said there's no sense in him rushing back, especially since there's just 24 games remaining in the regular season after Tuesday.
"I'm not even 90 percent now, so what's the point in coming back before I'm healthy?" he said.
Alonso said his hand hasn't felt fully healthy since before his previous injury. He hit .284 with six home runs, 29 RBIs and seven doubles in 190 at-bats before that first injury. Since then, he's hitting .278 with four doubles and 16 RBIs.
• Third baseman Chase Headley, who has missed the last six games with a sore back, took ground balls and batting practice before Tuesday's game against the Giants. Headley, who had back spasms in a game Aug. 27 against the D-backs, said his back was feeling better. If he doesn't start Wednesday then he'll certainly do so Friday when the team opens a three-game series against the Rockies.
• Outfielder Carlos Quentin had surgery on his right knee Tuesday in San Diego. The surgery was performed by team physician Heinz Hoenecke. As expected, the procedure was done on the patella area of the knee and included the removal of loose fragments, removing scar tissue and cleaning up loose cartilage. Quentin is expected to be ready for the start of Spring Training in mid-February.