5/5/2014 8:45 P.M. ET
Padres hoping Blanks can jumpstart offense
By Corey Brock / MLB.com
SAN DIEGO -- Looking for an offensive spark, the lowest-scoring team in the Major Leagues recalled first baseman/outfielder Kyle Blanks from Triple-A El Paso before Monday's game against the Royals.
Blanks, who had nine home runs in El Paso, was in the starting lineup and batting sixth for the Padres in the opener of a three-game Interleague series at Petco Park. To make room on the 25-man roster, Xavier Nady was designated for assignment.
Blanks, 27, had a .265/.354/.651 line in 99 plate appearances with El Paso. He had five doubles, nine home runs and 20 RBIs.
"Our reports on Kyle have been strong, that he's swinging the bat well, has been very productive," Padres manager Bud Black said.
The Padres entered Monday's game with the fewest runs (84 in 32 games) in the Major Leagues.
"As an organization, we felt like we needed to make this move," Black said.
Black indicated that Blanks' role will be similar to the one held previously by Tommy Medica, who is now with El Paso, and Nady. Blanks will get some time at first base and the outfield, and will provide a right-handed bat with power off the bench.
For the second time in as many days, someone other than Yonder Alonso started at first base. Alonso, who knocked in the game-winning run on Sunday, is hitting .163.
"We hope this helps him clear his head," Black said.
As for Blanks, he's certainly no stranger to the big leagues. He has 705 at-bats since making his Major League debut as a 22-year-old in 2009. Blanks owned a career .228/.312/.404 line with 28 home runs entering Monday's contest.
"I feel like I've been seeing the ball pretty well," Blanks said of his time with El Paso. "I had consistent at-bats and put consistent swings on the ball. When you put good swings on it, good things happen."
El Paso played its first 24 games away from home as their downtown ballpark was being finished. The ballpark opened on April 29th.
"I've never had anything like that. It was a grind," Blanks said. "We had a few guys who haven't been through Triple-A travel before, so I was helping them try and get acclimated.
"With a schedule like that, you have to just make the best of it. It was a tough situation and got through it."
Blanks sustained a right shoulder sprain on April 27 when he collided with El Paso outfielder Rey Fuentes, but he said it's been feeling better ever since and it does not affect his swing.
Nady DFA'd; Black hopes to retain outfielder
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres designated veteran outfielder Xavier Nady for assignment on Monday to make room for infielder/outfielder Kyle Blanks on the 25-man roster.
Nady leads the team in home runs (three), but he had just one hit in his last 19 at-bats since hitting a home run on April 17 against the Rockies.
All told, Nady hit .135 in 37 at-bats after making the team out of Spring Training as a non-roster invitee.
"It's always tough, especially when you have guy with the character that X has, the intangibles and skill set," manager Bud Black said.
The Padres have 10 days to place Nady on waivers, trade him or release him. Black, for one, hopes that Nady decides to stay with the organization and ends up with Triple-A El Paso.
"My recommendation is, 'we want to keep you and that you should keep playing,'" Black said.
This was the second tour of duty with the Padres for Nady, 35. He was selected by the club in the second round of the 2000 First-Year Player Draft and, after agreeing to a big league deal that September, made his Major League debut on Sept. 30.
Nady had a hit in his first and only at-bat on Sept. 30, a single off Dodgers pitcher Onan Masaoka. Nady is a career .268/.323/.432 hitter in parts of 12 seasons with eight different teams.
Headley, Quentin may return on homestand
SAN DIEGO -- The Padres made a roster move on Monday and that could just be the start of a busy week of transactions.
Third baseman Chase Headley and outfielder Carlos Quentin could be reinstated from the disabled list by the end of this homestand on Sunday.
Headley, on the disabled list since April 25 with a strained right calf, appeared in his first Minor League rehabilitation game on Monday for Class A Advanced Lake Elsinore.
Quentin, after playing in two games over the weekend, was back at Petco Park on Monday to work out with the team. Manager Bud Black said he'll likely rejoin Lake Elsinore on Tuesday, though a very small consideration was being made for him to join Triple-A El Paso in Fresno.
The Padres designated outfielder Xavier Nady for assignment earlier on Monday and recalled outfielder-first baseman Kyle Blanks from El Paso.
Elsewhere, pitcher Casey Kelly, who made his first Minor League rehab start on Saturday for Lake Elsinore, will rejoin that team on Thursday for a start. He'll throw five innings or 75 pitches as he continues to build his endurance and arm strength. Kelly had Tommy John surgery last April.
Kelly threw a bullpen session before Monday's game, with Black and pitching coach Darren Balsley both watching him.
"He looked good," Black said.