- A veteran of 31 seasons in professional baseball, Fred Uhlman, Jr. has spent the past 21 seasons with the San Diego Padres. He was promoted to his current post of vice president/assistant general manager in November 2008.
- Uhlman joined the Padres in March 1995 as a special assistant to the general manager, following 10 years in the Baltimore Orioles' scouting and player development departments. He was named assistant general manager the following season, in January 1996.
- Uhlman's responsibilities involve assisting Executive Vice President/General Manager A.J. Preller in all areas of baseball operations, including evaluation of talent at the Major, minor and amateur levels, player transactions and contract negotiations. Additionally, he works closely with scouting and player development on the day-to-day operations of the Padres' player development department.
- Raised in Georgetown, Texas, Uhlman moved to Baltimore in 1985 and joined the Orioles as a part-time assistant in player development and scouting. He attained full-time status in 1987 and was promoted to assistant to the director of scouting two years later. In 1991, he was named Baltimore's assistant director of scouting.
- Uhlman resides in San Diego.