• Enters his fourth season as assistant hitting coach for the Padres.
• 2015 is his 32nd year in professional baseball…spent five years in various roles with the Seattle Mariners from 2007-11...originally served as minor league hitting coordinator for the M's before moving to hitting coach for Triple-A Tacoma from 2008-11...also served as interim hitting coach for the Major League team during part of the 2010 season.
• Spent five seasons in the Cincinnati Reds' organization from 2002-06, serving as hitting coach for Double-A Chattanooga (2002-03) and as manager (2004-05) and hitting coach (2006) for Class-A Dayton.
• Former outfielder enjoyed a 19-year playing career between the United States and Japan.
• Originally signed as a non-drafted free agent by San Francisco in 1983...spent time in the Montreal, Minnesota, Seattle, Toronto, New York (AL) and Colorado systems, reaching the Majors with the Expos (1987) and Mariners (1991).
• Played for the Chunichi Dragons (1992-97) and Hanshin Tigers (1998) of the Japanese League...became the first American player to win three consecutive batting championships (1994-96)...also named to five All-Star teams and received two Gold Gloves
• Full name is Alonzo Sidney Powell...he and his wife, Jana, have two sons, Cameron and Dalton, and two daughters, Courtney and Brooklyn…also has three grandchildren, Madison, McKenzie and Alaya.